Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Epic Eye Roll

This article  popped up on my Facebook feed the day after the Presidential Inauguration.  I watched the video a few times looking for this "epic eye roll." While I'll admit there's a little smirking going on and I would certainly love to know what the first lady was thinking (I'm sure it was hilarious) anyone who thinks that was an epic eye roll must not know very many kids in 10-17 year-old range.  Or my daughter.  Of course, withering facial expressions are her specialty, so there's that.

Epic eye roll, my ass.  Spend an hour in this house working on 5th grade math and you'll soon learn what an eye roll is supposed to look like.

Speaking of 5th grade math and the government, I'm convinced this new way of teaching elementary school math is some sort of plot to torture parents and make them crazy.  It's like someone said, "hey instead of teaching them the most simple, straightforward way to get the answer, let's make it completely convoluted with as many steps as possible and plenty of opportunity to make careless mistakes!" It is insane. INSANE, I tell you.  And let's be completely honest, long division?  Has no place in real life.  There. I said it.

E~




2 comments:

  1. We too have been subjected to the "new math" which is obviously superior to plain old math. Has math changed? Did someone have an ah-ha moment and realize 2+2 really does equal 3? Nope didn't think so. So why give math an asiany sounding name come up with a back-asswards way of getting the same answer (a-la "old" math)? To make us think our children really are as smart as kids in China. Singapore math is the flavor of the week here...fortuantely Jack has a math teacher that is over 60 who will not give in tho this trickery. She goes over the "new" way and then back to writing times tables 5,000 times. Love her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm jealous and I'm actually cracking up right now because Lauren had a break between dance classes and I sent her with lots of paper and pencils and told her to write the times tables 3x each! This new stuff is a joke.

    ReplyDelete